Tuesday, May 10, 2016

All about...DRY SHAMPOO!


Hello, and welcome!

The purpose of my blog today is to give you a little more insight about dry shampoo.

For those who do not know what a dry shampoo is, it is an aerosol spray or powder that is applied to dirty hair to help absorb some of the oil so that hair can last longer (and look good!) between *actual* (I'm talking lather/rinse/repeat) washes.  It is perfect for absorbing excess oil from your scalp, or adding in extra volume to already clean hair.

Sounds awesome, right?!  Well it is!  Or...it can be.  Like anything else out there, there are a variety of products on the market today, so I would like to focus your attention on a few of my tried-and-true favorites.


TIGI Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo

The first one is the TIGI Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry Shampoo (available from ULTA's website here).  This product comes in an aerosol spray, and smells like a citrus-floral blend.  I find the scent to be very pleasant, but if you are sensitive fragrances, note that this smell does linger throughout the day.  This product deposits a white powder which is fine for me and my dirty-blonde hair, but consider this your warning to all my brunette ladies out there!

My only complaint regarding this product is that it feels like I have to use a LOT of it to get the results I want.  Don't get me wrong--my hair feels clean, voluminous, and fresh all day when I finally get there, but this spray can take a little getting used to.  At $21.99 for 6.3 ounces, it is also on the pricier side of things, but I also have not found another dry shampoo that gives the same amount of volume that this one does.

(image from http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4750053)



Dove Refresh + Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo

The second dry shampoo is Dove's Refresh + Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo (available here).  I came across this gem while I was on vacation.  I wanted a fairly inexpensive dry shampoo that I could throw away at the end of vacation and not feel like I wasted my money.  Well, the joke's on me!  I ended up loving this dry shampoo so much that I tucked it into my check-in bag to take home with me--I felt so bad wasting that much of a wonderful product!  The scent is so...so...so CLEAN!  There is a hint of a floral fragrance, but it fades pretty soon after applying. This too comes in an aerosol spray, and in my opinion, the powder feels finer than the TIGI Rockaholic powder does which makes it easier to blend in and brush out.  This canister comes in at $4.49 for 5 ounces.

(image from http://www.dove.us/Products/Hair/Shampoos/Invigorating-Dry-Shampoo.aspx)






Lush No Drought Dry Shampoo

Finally, we have come to Lush's No Drought Dry Shampoo (available here). I came across this shampoo when I was looking for something that would best for a carry-on bag while traveling.  Unfortunately, both the TIGI Rockaholic and Dove Refresh + Invigorating shampoos exceed the TSA approved limit of 3 oz for aerosol (and gels/liquids) products (admittedly I did not try looking into travel sized options), so I could not take my full size products with me in a carry on bag. 

Well, problem solved!  Lush's version of the dry shampoo is just a powder!  That's right, no aerosol needed.  I apply this product by popping open the novel, and CAREFULLY (did you hear me?  I said c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y) depositing the product from the nozzle.  Beware!  If you open the nozzle and vigorously shake or squeeze this bottle, a burst of white powder may or may not come pouring out, which may or may not create a mess when you try to brush it out.  But I wouldn't know or anything.

Grapefruit oil is one of the active ingredients, which leaves a very noticeable (pleasant) scent, and the powder is nice and fine (almost like a baking flour consistency).  At $14.95 for 4.6 ounces of pure powder (no aerosol in this!), or $7.95 for 1.9 ounces, it is well priced for most budgets. And with no aerosol to evaporate, this product will last you forever. 

(image from http://www.lushusa.com/No-Drought/9999903589,en_US,pd.html)




So there you have it folks!  A few of my dry shampoo favorites, as well as links on where to find them.  I hope that this post was insightful, and I look forward to seeing you next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment